Ten Fun and Crazy Dental Facts
February 11, 2012 Leave a comment
At Ocean Springs Dental, the office of Edward Banas DDS, we take dentistry very seriously. But believe it or not, teeth can be fun! Here are ten wild and crazy dental facts that will make you smile and improve your health as well.
1) The average human produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime. That is enough to fill 2 swimming pools!
2) You should not keep your toothbrush near a toilet. The airborne particles from the flush can travel up to a distance of 6 feet. Yuck!
3) People who drink 3 or more glasses of soda each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings and tooth loss than others. Put down the pop and sports drinks and pick up some nice fresh water instead.
4) In 1994, a prison inmate in West Virginia braided dental floss into a rope, scaled the wall and escaped. (We suggest that you floss to clean between your teeth instead of climbing prison walls! If you don’t you are missing 35% of your teeth’s surfaces.)
5) You should replace your toothbrush every 2-3 months, and ALWAYS after you have an episode of flu, cold, or viral infections. Notorious bacteria can implant themselves on the toothbrush bristles leading to re-infection.
6) Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body. However, we do not recommend that you use your pearly whites to open bottle caps!
7) The standard advice to “see your dentist twice a year” was actually invented by an ad agency for Pepsodent toothpaste! Your dental professional should recommend the correct schedule for your dental visits.
8) A recent poll has shown that health professionals (physicians, dentists and nurses) were among the most trusted people in the United States. The least trusted?–Lobbyists and congressmen of course!
9) According to a recent survey done by Time Magazine, 59% of Americans would rather have a dental appointment than be sitting next to someone talking on a cell phone. Maybe some of us should take a hint!
10) Over three out of four people in the United States suffer from some form of gum disease. It is the leading cause of tooth loss in people over age 35. The good news is, in most cases gum disease can be prevented or controlled!
At the office of Edward Banas DDS, we are here for you, and want to help you achieve the best smile possible. If you have any questions about your dental health or need to schedule an appointment, please give us a call today at (228)826-3811. We can help you!
Also– did you know that we are on Facebook? Please go to www.facebook.com/OceanSpringsDental and “like” us for more dental health tips, community news, contests, special offers and all kinds of other fun stuff!!! And remember our office donates $5 from every initial exam to The Lord is My Help food pantry in Ocean Springs.